Organic black turtle beans, also known as just black beans, are rich in fibre and protein and are a popular ingredient in Latin American cuisine. They have a dense, meaty texture that adds substance to vegetarian dishes such as stews making them popular with vegans as a reliable protein source.
They are small in size and have shiny skin making them recognizable amongst other varieties of beans.
Benefits of organic black turtle beans
- High in protein
- Rich source of fibre
- Good source of vitamins and minerals
- Good source of iron
- Low in fat
- Low in sugar
- Long shelf life
- Easy to prepare
How to prepare
Dried beans must be soaked prior to cooking to remove any toxins and reduce cooking time.
- Soak in a bowl of water and leave overnight
- Drain from the water and transfer to a pan of boiling water
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 1.5 - 2 hours
- Drain and use in recipes as instructed
Ways to enjoy organic black turtle beans
- Add to vegetarian stews for a delicious protein source
- Use to in brownie recipes to add moisture and texture
- Mexican black bean burritos
- Mexican inspired refried beans
- Cuban black bean soup served with rice